The Gas Safety Register recommends that households have gas appliances safety checked or serviced every year.
What is a gas safety check?
We will inspect your gas appliances to ensure each one is working correctly by checking the following four areas:
- Gas appliances are on the right setting and burning correctly with the correct operating pressure
- Harmful gases are being removed from the appliance safely to the air outside
- That any ventilation routes are clear and working properly
- All the safety devices are working
Our checks will identify any defects which require remedial work. You should have a gas safety check every year. If you are a landlord this is the law.
What is a service?
Whilst a gas safety check assesses the basic safety of a gas appliance a service will consist of a full check of a gas appliance and the engineer is likely to take the appliance apart to inspect it. We will assess the physical condition of the appliance, installation pipework, air vents and any flues for deterioration. We’ll also carry out performance tests and take any necessary remedial action.
- Appliances should be serviced regularly in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Servicing your gas appliances regularly will make sure they are safe to use.
- Servicing will also maintain your appliances efficiency and performance.
Signs that your appliances need servicing?
Gas appliances should be serviced regularly but if you notice any of the warning signs below please call us:
- Your gas appliance is not working properly
- Your appliance is burning with a lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame
- You can see black marks or stains on or around your gas appliances
- The pilot light keeps going out
- There is increased condensation in the room